Thursday, June 28, 2007

Week 2 - Day 3: iPod Scare

On Tuesday night my wife took me to the mall to get some new running shoes.  I ended up with the Asics Gell-1120.  Today was my first run with them.  I have to say, they are lighter than my older Nike shoes and didn't hurt my feet one bit.  With my Nike shoes, my feet were definitely warm by the end of the run.  This was not the case today.

With my new kicks laced up and my Nike+ securely tethered (Ziploc and all) I was out the door.  However, just as I got the "Press the center button to start your workout" message all hell broke loose.  For whatever reason, my iPod froze.  I couldn't get anything to work.  I took it back in and hooked it back up to the PC.  It didn't help that Microsoft sent out an update last night that required a reboot so I had to wait for all the startup programs to complete.  My USB port would recognize the iPod, but iTunes did not.  Eventually, I did get a message saying it was corrupt and that I needed to restore my iPod.  Faced with no other choice, I pressed ok but then got another error message saying that it couldn't be restored.  Off to Google I went, pissed as hell that my iPod was screwed.  I had already tried the reset options provided by Apple so there had to be another way to do a hard reset.  I stumbled across this link and what do you know, it worked.  Thanks Collin!

Ok, so now I am faced with the decision of running today or not.  I have already wasted over 30 minutes farting around with my iPod issues and am running out of time.  What the hell, I got my new shoes to try out... off I went. Maybe I was just feeling pressed for time, but I recorded a personal best for a mile.

Mile 1:  8:36, Mile 2:  7:37

No comments: