Monday, June 18, 2007

Nike+ iPod - Initial run...

My wife and I bought ourselves (or each other) an iPod Nano (8GB) for a combined Father's Day and her birthday this weekend.  I also picked up one of the Nike+ Sport kits at Target for $29.99.  I am not an avid runner, although I still consider myself to be relatively athletic.  My intentions are to use the iPod as a running/exercise incentive.  Although I do have an older pair of Nike running shoes, they do not have the insert.  Since I didn't want to cut a hole in to the bottom of my shoes, I fashioned a "pocket" to hold my Nike+ sensor to my shoes.  Essentially, I put it in a small Ziploc bag and folded it up so that I could weave it through the first few laces on my shoe.  Once in place, I just taped it up so that it wouldn't go anywhere.  Assuming I stick with this, I will either make a more permanent "pocket" for my sensor, or purchase one online.

Today was my first run...  I decided to take it easy and just start off with a 2 mile run.  I got everything situated with my iPod, playlist, and the Nike+ sensor and  off I went.  Initially, I was thinking that 2 miles was just too short.  Certainly I could do more than 2 miles.  WOW... about 1.5 miles in to it, I was really ready to quit.  I have realized just how out of shape I am.  I did make it through the full 2 mile run without stopping, but I was very happy to reach the end of the run.

Here are my run results:

Overall, Mile 1: 8:20, Mile 2: 8:02, I walked the last .35 miles.  I thought I had ended my workout, but it kept tracking my progress.  I will have to look online for more information on how to operate this thing.  If nothing else, it has gotten me out the door and running.  At least for day 1...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go cubby boy...you are doing better than i am